2017 ECCO Conference Conducting Classes
Conducting Class & Masterclass – brush up on your technique and learn a few new tricks to communicate more concisely with your conducting gesture. Both a Conducting class and Masterclass are available at ECCO at no additional cost. Each is designed to give choral conductors the opportunity to work with master teacher and coach/mentor on skills to help them meet challenges beyond their university training. The conducting class, led by Dr. Buddy James, includes coaching with Dr. James and podium time in a smaller classroom situation. Conductors for the conducting class will be able to sign up at the registration table when they arrive for the conference. The Masterclass features coaching with Dr. Jerry Blackstone, the conference headlining speaker, and includes public podium time during one of the conference plenary sessions. Three conductors will be selected via application for this masterclass. Conductors interested in participating in the 2017 ECCO masterclass should submit this application and the required supplemental materials on or before June 20, 2017.
- Listen to the Choir of the World 2016!
- For great stories, interviews, and music. http://www.classicalmpr.org/topic/choral
- ACDA National College & University R&R webpage http://acda.org/page.asp?page=collunivchoir
Helpful Resources and Downloads
- Istad, Performing in the Baroque Era from ECCO 2011
- Istad, Score Study in the Modern Era from ECCO 2011
- Istad, Performance Practice in the Romanic Era: Evoking the Soul of the Composer from ACDA ECCO 2010
- Marshall, Robert L., “Belated Thoughts on Bach’s Chorus” from Early Music America; Winter 2009; 15, 4. pg. 24.
- Istad, Choral Literature of the Medieval, Renaissance and Baroque Era
- Hunter, Mary. “To Play as If from the Soul of the Composer: The Idea of the Performer in Early Romantic Aesthetics” from the Journal of the American Musicological Society, Vol. 58, No. 2 (Summer, 2005), pp. 357 -398
- Basic Romantic Ornamentation Guide
- James, Buddy, Performing Choral Music from the Renaissance from ECCO 2012
- James, Renaissance Performance Practice Presentation and Presentation with notes
- Istad, Performing Practice in the Classic Era from ECCO 2013
- Vázquez-Ramos, A. M. Working with developmental choirs from WACDA 2016